Why do it?
- Checks compliance in real-time and displays compliance messaging within the order in Vinespring.
- Applies applicable tax by pulling from ShipCompliant's up-to-the-minute tax tables. No more manual tax tables to update in VineSpring.
- Commits the orders to compliance, meaning that the orders populate in any applicable ShipCompliant reports.
- Sends the order to any ShipCompliant-connected fulfillment house. All shipment updates come back into the order in VineSpring, including tracking number.
Before you begin
- If you are a new ShipCompliant customer, confirm with ShipCompliant that your setup is complete. Important: This integration cannot be used for the Fulfillment-Only ShipCompliant service level.
- Confirm that your SKU's are all set up within ShipCompliant.
- Confirm that your Fulfillment House is defined within ShipCompliant.
- Is your training complete with ShipCompliant staff? It is best to know your way around SC prior to hooking it up to VS.
- Both new and existing ShipCompliant customers: Ask ShipCompliant to set up a 'Web Services' account for VineSpring. They will supply a username and password for the Web Services account. Pass this username and password to VineSpring, and we will do the rest. (ShipCompliant: (303) 996-2356 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Setting it up
Connecting ShipCompliant to your VineSpring account is easy.
Step 1: Enter your ShipCompliant Web Services username and password into VineSpring.
- Go to the Settings Tab.
- Click on the Connections tab > Third Party Integrations link.
- Scroll to ShipCompliant section and Click on Configure.
- Enter the ShipCompliant Web Services username and password.
Note: These are not the credentials you use to log into your SC portal. Ask SC for your Web Services credentials for VineSpring.
Step 2: Your SKU in VineSpring automatically maps to the Product Key in ShipCompliant.
Every Product has a defined Brand Key and Product Key(aka SKU). These two things are how ShipCompliant talks to VineSpring. These items are sent behind the scenes to ShipCompliant when you set up your Product in VS. You do not need to do anything manually for this step.
Step 3: Define a Fullfillment House within VineSpring
VineSpring customers using ShipCompliant can send shipments directly to their fulfillment house without downloading to a spreadsheet. You must first set the fulfillment house in VineSpring and make sure it matches what is already set in ShipCompliant.
- View the list of fulfillment houses currently enabled in your ShipCompliant account. Note: For a fulfillment house to appear in this list, it needs to be properly configured and enabled in ShipCompliant.
- Click on Settings.
- Click Orders and Edit (upper right) and scroll to the Fulfillment Houses field.
- Enter the name exactly as it appears from the link above, without quotes or spaces. For example, if the house was listed as “InHouseUPS” in the list from Step 1, it would be entered as such in the Name box.
- Click the green checkmark to Save.
Okay, it's all hooked up. How does it work?
Order of operations once an order has been created:
- Compliance is checked automatically. If there is an issue with compliance, you will see a red message on the left side of the Order.
- Tax is applied automatically. Tax is pulled from ShipCompliant's tax tables in real-time and applied to the order.
- Fix any compliance issues. Once they are sufficiently addressed, you will see a 'Compliant' message on the order. Note: Re-check compliance by clicking 'Compliance Actions' > Check Compliance in upper right.
- Commit to Compliance. Committing means that this order will land in ShipCompliant and will populate on all applicable reports.
- Send to Fulfillment. If your fulfillment house is also hooked up to ShipCompliant, then when you click 'send to fulfillment', the order will be sent to the fulfillment house. Note: There are different settings within SC depending on your needs. You can have it sent straight through to the fulfillment house, or you can send it into a holding pattern - then manually 'release' the order(s) to your fulfillment house. Contact ShipCompliant for more information about this. (ShipCompliant: (303) 996-2356 or email@example.com).
Fulfillment Updates: Once an order has been 'sent to fulfillment', you will see updates flow back into the order in VS. VS reaches out to SC about every two hours for updates. Here are the fulfillment status messages that will populate in the order:
None: This means that The fulfillment house has not downloaded the order yet from their side.
InProcess: The fulfillment house has downloaded the order, but has not shipped it yet.
Exception: The fulfillment house cannot fulfill the order for some reason - usually an inventory issue. Contact the fulfillment house to get the exact reason.
Shipped: The order has been shipped but not yet delivered.
Delivered: The order has been delivered and the tracking number will populate in the order as well.
What do the non-compliant messages mean and how to fix them.
There are several common messages that you will see due to non-compliance.
Error 1: Product matching given BrandKey/ProductKey is not available.This means that the Brand Key and/or Product Key does not match what is entered in ShipCompliant.
How to rectify:
- Go to the Settings tab > Products.
- Click into the Product(s) that are present in the order - and then click into the SKU(s).
- Scroll to the bottom and you'll see the fields for Brand Key and Product Key.
- Login into your ShipCompliant account and navigate to the same Product(s).
- Confirm that Brand Key and Product Key match exactly in both systems. Be mindful of any leading or trailing spaces.
Finally, go back to the Order in VineSpring. Click on 'Compliance Actions' > Check Compliance in upper right. This action re-checks compliance and will include any changes you just made. If everything matches, the order should now pass compliance.
Error 2: LabelRegistrationRequired. Label registration is required for shipping offsite sales to this region. The state fee for this registration is $0.00. Note: Illinois' "Registration Statement" and copies of all COLAs sold in the state must be submitted.
How to rectify:
Log into ShipCompliant and navigate to the Label Registration area. Confirm that this label is registered. If it is, mark it as such and save.
Go back to the Order in VineSpring. Click on 'Compliance Actions' > Check Compliance in upper right. This action re-checks compliance and will include any changes you just made. If everything matches, the order should now pass compliance.
Error 3: CustomerAggregateVolumeLimit. Shipments to this region have a per customer volume limit of 9 liters per individual per calendar month. The volume will be calculated from combined onsite and offsite sales.
This means that this customer has already reached their limit for this specified time period.
How to Rectify:
You will need to either change the shipdate on the order so that falls into a compliant date range - or contact the customer and have it sent to a different person/address.
Error 4: Date of Birth Required.
How to Rectify:
Edit the Billing address on the order. Enter a valid DOB and Save. The order should now pass compliance.
Error 5: Invalid Billing or Shipping address.
How to Rectify:
Correct the invalid address. Often this is simply a case of the street address being entered into the Company field by mistake - or similar issue. Once corrected, the order should pass compliance.
Why isn't tax being calculated on this order?
- Look at the Ship-to address. Is it complete with a state? A state must be present in the order for the tax to calculate.
- Is the Ship-to state one that charges sales tax? Some (like Oregon), do not.
- If both of the above have checked out and you still think tax should be calculating (or if you think the tax is calculating incorrectly), then this warrants a call to ShipCompliant. We calculate tax based on what ShipCompliant sends us in real-time, so any adjustments to how tax is calculated will need to be made directly within ShipCompliant. (ShipCompliant: (303) 996-2356 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
I am getting a BrandKey/ProductKey error, yet they match in both SC and VS.
- No, they don't :-). Be sure to check for upper/lower case letters and leading or trailing spaces. Sometimes finding the issue is a little tricky.
- Don't forget to re-check compliance after you've made your correction. Click on 'Compliance Actions' > Check Compliance in upper right. This action re-checks compliance and will include any changes you just made. If everything matches, the order should now pass compliance.