SKU: Individual unit for sale (375ml, 750ml, 1.5L)
Product: This is a way to categorize families of SKUs on your site. (Example: You have a Product called '2016 Chardonnay.' This product has three SKUs that are available: 375ml, 750ml and 1.5L).
Create a New Product
Navigate to the Settings page (gear icon) and click on the Products link.
Enter all relevant information regarding this product.
Remember: This is the PRODUCT, not the SKU, so you will not be entering format sizing into this window. That will happen when you're creating the SKUs associated with this Product.
- Name: This is the name of the wine that the customer will see online.
- Tags: These are selection items that customers can choose from the top of the Product Purchase page. They allow the customer to see a filtered list of all the products available. Tags can be set to only display “2017” wines or just display “Chardonnay” wines. (“All” products are selected by default). If you have more than one product with the same vintage or varietal, you must set the same tag values for each of these products to have them included in the filtered results. As a best practice, you should minimize the number of tags you feature so that your customers have simpler lists from which to make their selections.
- Teaser: Short description which is listed in your Store or Allocation page.
- Description: Longer description that is present when a customer clicks to learn more about a specific wine.
- Attributes: These set the categories that differentiate the individual SKUs under your products. An attribute of “Size” would allow your customers to select from multiple formats that you offer (750ml, 1.5L, 4-Pack, etc.). When you set up your SKUs (see below), you will designate the specific value the SKU will have for the “Size” attribute.
- Visibility: When checked, this product will be displayed so that it can be selected and/or purchased on the front end of your website.
- Save: Save this Product by clicking the green checkmark in the upper right.
Adding SKUs to a Product
Now that you've created a Product, it's time to add SKUs to it.
Click on the 'Add SKU' in the upper right.
- Name: This name will be displayed for your customers to see. Format is often appended to the name. For example: 2016 VineSpring Chardonnay 750ml.
- SKU: Example - 16VSCH750
- Price: This is the price that you'd like your customer to see. This could either be the full Retail price, or it could be the sale price.
- Tax Exempt: Mark the checkbox if you do not want tax calculated on this item.
- Shipping Plan: Select the type of shipping associated with this SKU. You will have different plans depending on the type of item (merchandise, gift, etc.) and the type of bottle format (375ml, 750ml, 1.5L, etc.).
- Display: This is where you enter the value(s) associated with the Attribute(s) set in the Product configuration (see above). As an example, if you have an attribute of “Size” and the SKU is for a 750ml format, enter “750ml” in the associated Display field.
- Purchasing Options: Enter increments, min and max. Leave blank to accept the default settings.
- Dimensions: These are optional fields that are important if your shipping rates are based on weight/size vs. quantity. The value of weight is used to calculate a shipping cost.
- Visibility/Availability: This determines where this SKU will be visible, and whether it can be purchased. You typically always want to check the box for “Admin Orders.” If you check the “Can View” box and uncheck the “Can Purchase” box, your Internet customers will be able view the item, but cannot buy it.
- Allocation: If this SKU is allocated and you want customers in your Store to SEE the product, but not be able to PURCHASE it (until they've signed up on your list), then check this box. You will be prompted to enter an allocation message that customers in your Store will see. Example: This is an allocated product. Please join our mailing list to receive an allocation.
- Save: Upon saving, this product will be visible based on what you have defined.